Government Agency Navigation

Health Care Financing for CSHCN

Narrative

The National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) asked the parents of CSHCN whether their child had insurance in the past 12 months and what kind of insurance they had. Overall, 91.2 percent of CSHCN were reported to have been insured for all of the previous 12 months, while the remaining 8.8 percent were uninsured for all or some part of the year. At the time of the interview, almost 97 percent of CSHCN were reported to have some type of insurance: 59.1 percent had private insurance provided through an employer or obtained directly from an insurance company and 28.1 percent had public insurance, such as Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), or military health care. Another 7.4 percent of CSHCN had both private and public insurance, and 3.5 percent were uninsured at the time of the interview.

The percentage of CSHCN without insurance in 2005-06 varied by race/ethnicity and family income. Hispanic CSHCN were most likely to have been uninsured at some point during the prior year (15.1 percent), followed by non-Hispanic Black children (11.0 percent), non-Hispanic CSHCN of other races (8.9 percent) and non-Hispanic White children (7.1 percent). CSHCN living in poor and near poor families—or those with family incomes below 100 percent of the Federal poverty level and between 100 and 199 percent of the Federal poverty level—were most likely to be uninsured at some point in the prior year (14.2 and 14.1 percent, respectively). In contrast, the same was true for 7.1 percent of CSHCN living in families with incomes 200-399 percent of poverty and 2.9 percent of CSHCN living in households with family incomes of 400 percent or more of poverty.

Graphs

This image is described in the Data section.

cshcn ever uninsured graph

This image is described in the Data section.

cshcn ever uninsured by poverty graph

Data

Percent of CSHCN Ever Uninsured in the Past 12 Months, by Race/Ethnicity, 2005-06

Percent of CSHCN:

  • Non-Hispanic White: 7.1
  • Non-Hispanic Black: 11.0
  • Hispanic: 15.1
  • Non-Hispanic Other: 8.9

Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau. The National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs Chartbook 2005-2006. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2007.

Percent of CSHCN Ever Uninsured in the Past 12 Months, by Poverty Level,* 2005-06

Percent of CSHCN:

  • 0-99% FPL: 14.2
  • 100-199% FPL: 14.1
  • 200-399% FPL: 7.1
  • 400% or more FPL: 2.9

*The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services establishes poverty guidelines for determining financial eligibility for Federal programs; the poverty level for a family of four was $19,350 in 2005.

Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau. The National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs Chartbook 2005-2006. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2007.


Share this!

Downloads