Government Agency Navigation

Health Care Financing for CSHCN

Narrative

The consistency and adequacy of health insurance can have a significant impact on children's access to needed health-care services. This is particularly true for children with special health care needs (CSHCN). In 2009-10, the National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs (NS-CSHCN) asked parents whether their child had insurance coverage in the past 12 months and, if so, what kind they had. Overall, 90.7 percent of CSHCN were insured for all of the previous 12 months, while the remaining 9.3 percent were uninsured for all or some part of the year (data not shown in graph images or in data tables on this site).

At the time of the interview, 96.5 percent of CSHCN were reported to have some type of insurance: 50.7 percent had private insurance and 34.7 percent had public insurance, 7.9 percent had both private and public insurance, while 3.5 percent were uninsured at the time of the interview. The proportion of CSHCN with private and public insurance coverage changed significantly over the last decade. In 2001, 64.7 percent of CSHCN had private and 21.7 percent had public coverage. This reflects a decline of over 20 percent in the proportion of CSHCN with private coverage and a nearly 60 percent increase in the proportion with public coverage over the decade (data not shown in graph images or in data tables on this site).

CSHCN without health insurance are less likely to receive the health care they need than those with insurance. CSHCN without current health insurance coverage were less likely than those with insurance to have a usual source of sick care (85.6 percent versus 92.9 percent), to receive all needed dental care (79.2 versus 95.1 percent) and prescription medications (84.1 percent versus 97.9 percent) and to receive all needed mental health services (85.1 versus 94.7 percent).

Graphs

This image is described in the Data section.

cshcn ever uninsured graph

This image is described in the Data section.

cshcn ever uninsured by poverty graph

Data

Health Insurance Coverage Among CSHCN at Time of Survey, 2009-2010
Type of Insurance Percent of CSHCN
Source: Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. 2009-2010 National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs. Data analyzed by the Health Resources and Services Administration's Maternal and Child Health Bureau.
Private Only 52.4
Public Only 35.9
Combination of Private and Public 8.2
Uninsured 3.6
Access to Services, by Health Insurance Coverage, Among CSHCN, 2009-2010
Access to Services Currently Insured
(Private Insurance Only)
Not Currently Insured
(Private Insurance Only)
Source: Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative, Data Resource Center for Child and Adolescent Health . 2009/2010 National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs. Accessed September 2012.
Usual Source of Sick Care 92.9 85.6
Received all Needed Dental Care 95.1 79.2
Received all Needed Prescriptions 97.9 84.1
Received All Needed Mental Health Services 94.7 85.1