Skip Navigation

Bookmark and Share

Page Graphs

Conditions of Neighborhoods graph

Neighborhood Conditions

The physical environment can affect the physical health, safety, social opportunities, and development of a child. Poor neighborhood conditions, such as dilapidated housing, evidence of vandalism, and litter or garbage on the street may contribute adversely, either directly or indirectly, to a child's overall well-being.

Parents of 17.0 percent of children reported that they lived in neighborhoods with litter or garbage on the street or sidewalk, while 14.6 percent of children were reported to live in neighborhoods with poorly kept or dilapidated housing, and 11.6 percent lived in neighborhoods with evidence of vandalism, such as broken windows or graffiti. Overall, 71.4 percent of children were reported to live in neighborhoods with none of these conditions, while the remaining 28.6 percent lived in neighborhoods with at least one of these conditions (data not shown).


Footer