Addressing Disparities in Perinatal Health & Birth Outcomes: New Approaches for Improving Maternal & Infant Health
Wednesday, May 17, 2006, 2:00-3:30 p.m. ET
Overview | Presenter Information | Agenda | Resources | Archive
Please check the Technical Requirements section for assistance with downloading the presentations.
"HRSA Health Disparities Collaboratives 2006", Ahmed Calvo, M.D., M.P.H., FAAFP
"HRSA Health Disparities Collaboratives 2006: Perinatal & Patient Safety Pilot", Ada Determan, M.P.H
"Addressing Disparities in Perinatal Health Using a Collaborative Approach: The PCC Community Wellness Center’s Experience", Mark Loafman, M.D., M.P.H. and Andrea McGlynn, C.N.M., M.S.N.
Private Sector Resources
- Braveman P. Health disparities and health equity: concepts and measurement. Annu Rev Public Health. 2006;27:167-94. Available at: http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/
- Braveman PA, Cubbin C, Egerter S, Chideya S, Marchi KS, Metzler M, Posner S. Socioeconomic status in health research: one size does not fit all. JAMA. 2005 Dec 14;294(22):2879-88. Available at: http://jama.ama-assn.org/
- Braveman PA, Egerter SA, Cubbin C, Marchi KS. An approach to studying social disparities in health and health care. Am J Public Health. 2004 Dec;94(12):2139-48. Available at: http://www.ajph.org/
- Chen E, Martin AD, Matthews KA. Understanding health disparities: the role of race and socioeconomic status in children’s health. American Journal of Public Health. April 2006;96:702–708. Available at http://www.ajph.org/
- Collins JW, Jr., David RJ, Handler A, Wall S, Andes S. Very low birthweight in African American infants: the role of maternal exposure to interpersonal racial discrimination. American Journal of Public Health. December 2004;94:2132–2138. Available at http://www.ajph.org/
- Egerter S, Marchi K, Cubbin C, Braveman P, Salganicoff A, Ranji U. Disparities in maternal and infant health: are we making progress? Lessons from California. San Francisco: The Henry J. Kaiser Foundation; fall 2004. Available at: http://www.kff.org/womenshealth/7157.cfm
- Gee GC. A multilevel analysis of the relationship between institutional and individual racial discrimination and health status. American Journal of Public Health. April 2002;92:615–623. Available at http://www.ajph.org/
- Goldhagen J, Remo R, Bryant T III, Wludyka P, Dailey A, Wood D, Watts G, Livingood W. The health status of Southern children: a neglected regional disparity. Pediatrics. 2005;116:746–753. Available at: http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/doi/10.1542/peds.2005-0366.
- Howell E, Pettit K, Kingsley T. Trends in Maternal and Infant Health in Poor Urban Neighborhoods: Good News from the 1990s but Challenges Remain. Public Health Reports July/August 2005. 120(4):409-417. Available at http://www.publichealthreports.org/
- Kahn RS, Wilson K, Wise PH. Intergenerational health disparities: socioeconomic status, women’s health conditions, and child behavior problems. Public Health Reports. July–August 2005;120:399–408. Available at http://www.publichealthreports.org/
- Kahn RS, Zuckerman B, Bauchner H, Homer CJ, Wise PH. Women’s health after pregnancy and child outcomes at age 3 years: a prospective cohort study. American Journal of Public Health. August 2002;92:1312–1318. Available at http://www.ajph.org/
- Lu MC, Halfon N. Racial and ethnic disparities in birth outcomes: a life course perspective. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2003;7(1):13-30. Available at: www.kluweronline.com/issn/1092-7875
- Shi L, Stevens GD, Wulu JT Jr, Politzer RM, Xu J. America's health centers: reducing racial and ethnic disparities in perinatal care and birth outcomes. Health Serv Res. 2004 Dec;39(6 Pt 1):1881-901. Available at: http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/hesr
- Wise PH. The transformation of child health in the United States. Health Affairs. 2004;23(5):9–25. DOI 10.1377/hlthaff.23.5.9. Available at: http://www.healthaffairs.org/
- Wise PH. The anatomy of a disparity in infant mortality. Annu Rev Public Health. 2003;24:341-62. Epub 2001 Nov 6. Review. Available at http://arjournals.annualreviews.org