Treating infants, children, and teens seeking emergency medical care requires specialized pediatric skills, training, and equipment. EMSC expands and improves emergency care for children through research, partnership, and practice.
We fund various EMSC projects, awarding 71 grants and cooperative agreements to state governments and schools of medicine.
Our investments spur improvements
Access our awardee's work that builds the systems of services for children through:
- Emergency Medical Services for Children Innovation and Improvement Center (EIIC)
- EMSC Data Center
- Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network
Funding supporting this work
For information about the following Notices of Funding Opportunities (NOFOs) and their funding cycles, please reach out to Theresa Morrison-Quinata, ESMC Branch Chief
- EMSC Data Center
- EMSC Innovation and Improvement Center (EIIC)
- EMSC State Partnerships
- EMSC State Partnership Rural Expansion Program
- EMSC Targeted Issue Program
- Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN)
- Regional Pediatric Pandemic Network
EMSC in context
Since 1985, our EMSC work has helped seriously ill and injured children. We make sure that—no matter where a child lives—the health systems in their area provide quality emergency care services.
The goals are to improve access and quality of emergency care for children and reduce serious injury or death.
The program also provides leadership in improving emergency services for children and teens both before they get to the hospital and after they arrive at the emergency department.
We do this through funding, partnership, and practice:
- We fund research networks and individual research projects that conduct studies to set the standards of optimal emergency care for children.
- We partner with state governments, first responders, nurses, and doctors to:
- Develop policies that expand best practices based on the research
- Share expertise with and among states and territories
- Through training and putting new standards into practice, we make sure:
- Medical first responders and hospital staff use the best methods and age-appropriate equipment to care for children
- Research improves and expands the quality of care and the systems of care
EMSC Branch Chief