Office of Epidemiology and Research
Division of Research
Advancing Applied MCH Research
Division of Research
Applying for a Grant
Podcasts & Webinars
News & Events
MCH Research Listserve
Phase 2: Prepare and Submit a Proposal
The applicant should review the MCHB's priorities and the grant program guidance very carefully and submit a letter of intent to the project officer for the program. As the applicant prepares the application, they should contact the project officer to clarify the intent of the program guidance or contact the grants official with any budget questions. The completed application must be submitted via Grants.gov.
How to Apply
1. Register in Grants.gov
Applicants submitting for any Office of Epidemiology and Research, Division of Research funding opportunity are required to submit electronically through Grants.gov. To submit an application electronically, please use the Grants.gov application site. When using Grants.gov you will be able to download a copy of the application package, complete it off-line, and then upload and submit the application via the Grants.gov site.
It is essential that your organization immediately register in Grants.gov and become familiar with the Grants.gov site application process. If you do not complete the registration process you will be unable to submit an application. The registration process can take up to one month.
To be able to successfully register in Grants.gov, it is necessary that you complete all of the following required actions:
- Obtain an organizational Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number
- Register the organization with Central Contractor Registry (CCR)
- Identify the organization's E-Business POC (Point of Contact)
- Confirm the organization's CCR "Marketing Partner ID Number (M-PIN)" password
- Register an Authorized Organization Representative (AOR)
- Obtain a username and password from the Grants.gov Credential Provider
Instructions on how to register, tutorials and FAQs are available on the Grants.gov web site. Assistance is also available 24 hours a day, seven days a week (excluding Federal holidays) from the Grants.gov help desk at email@example.com or by phone at 1-800-518-4726.
Download, complete and submit grant application packages; and check the status of applications submitted via Grants.gov. See Grants.gov for full details. When using Grants.gov you will be able to download a copy of the application package, complete it off-line, and then upload and submit the face sheet and checklist via the Grants.gov site
3. Helpful Hints
- Register and Apply Online -
HRSA's online application system is designed to maximize data accuracy and speed processing. Multiple individuals may register and collaborate on applications, and institutional data is stored for you to re-use on future applications.
- Submit your Application Early -
Applications submitted after program's deadline will not be accepted.
Writing a Grant Proposal
Below you will find information to help develop your grant proposal. We would like to make it as easy as possible for you to write and submit your proposals.
Background Materials for Writing a Grant Application to the Office of Epidemiology and Research, Division of Research
- MCHB Strategic Plan
- MCH Research Strategic Issues
- MCHB Web Site
- Healthy People 2010 and 2020
- Bright Futures
- Surgeon General's Reports
- Title V Information System
- Discretionary Grant Information System
- Supplemental Instructions for Preparing the Human Subjects Section of Research Plan (PDF - 146 KB)