On September 27, 2023, HRSA announced nearly $90 million in awards to support the White House Blueprint for Addressing the Maternal Health Crisis, a whole-of-government strategy to combat maternal mortality and improve maternal and infant health, particularly in underserved communities. These investments support innovative new approaches to improve maternal health, increases access to care in maternity care deserts and other rural and underserved areas, grows and supports the maternal health workforce, bolsters community-based efforts to address maternal health challenges in areas at highest risk, and expands screening and treatment for maternal mental health and substance use disorders.
Maternal and Child Health Bureau grants:
- FY 2023 State Maternal Health Innovation (MHI) Awards: 20 awards totaling nearly $25 million and 35 supplemental awards totaling almost $6 million
- FY 2023 Healthy Start Awards: 10 awards totaling over $10 million
- FY 2023 Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health Awards: 28 awards totaling over $5 million
- FY 2023 Integrated Maternal Health Services Program Awards: 5 awards totaling about $9 million
- FY 2023 MCHB Research Awards: 17 awards totaling over $9 million
- FY 2023 Maternal Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Awards: 12 awards totaling over $8 million
- Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting Program: One award of nearly $4.5 million to establish the Institute for Home Visiting Workforce Development and Jackie Walorski Center for Evidence-Based Case Management.
Federal Office of Rural Health Policy grant:
- FY 2023 Rural Maternity and Obstetrics Management Strategies Awards: 2 awards totaling nearly $2 million
Bureau of Health Workforce grant:
- FY 2023 Maternity Care Nursing Workforce Training Awards: 10 awards totaling more than $8 million